The main objective of the course is to familiarize Structural Engineers with current knowledge on the seismic design and analysis of nonstructural building components. At the end of the course, Structural Engineers should be able to:
- classify the various types of nonstructural building components and understand their performance during recent earthquakes;
- conduct seismic analysis of nonstructural building components by the direct and cascading methods;
- understand and apply correctly current regulations and guidelines for the seismic design and specifications of nonstructural building components in North America and Europe including the seismic qualification requirements for important nonstructural building components that have been introduced recently in building codes;
- conduct seismic qualification of nonstructural building components by testing, analysis or experience database according to recent building code requirements; and
- be familiar with the seismic performance and fragility of specific nonstructural building components and systems through the review of research case studies.
The schedule of the course is available at the follwoing link: Course Schedule
Please contact prof. Andre Filiatrault for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org)